Thursday, October 8, 2009

Trolling













There had to be at least a hundred of these brown beauties, huge of size, going through their antics and are probably the best fed birds in the world. I have never seen so many Pelicans at one time, usually there are a dozen or more, but not this year, and it is a sight to see.
We rode to the jetty where the Chetco river enters the sea and found dozens of small boats of fishermen trolling for salmon. One boat had a black lab sitting patiently waiting for a catch. Another tale was of the fisherman that caught a huge salmon only to have one of the big sea lions swim up and grab it. I bet the air was 'blue'. One man chose to sit it all out and sit in the sun shine and watch the activity. I am thinking he wished he had a boat and could be out there with those having such a good time.
I was amazed that the Pelicans were not trolling along with the fishermen but they were not on their usual rocks but over in the Marina flying around in their usual pattern having a wonderful time. I kept clicking pictures as fast as I could and was happy with the ones I did get. The sun was shining on the water and sinking slowly as it left a huge bright path in the water. The glare makes for fuzzy pictures. The one of the man on the ladder is our friend Jim who has his crab boat in the boatyard where it has been spruced up getting ready for crab season. The name of the boat is the Leonard G. so you see he has a way to go.
It was a very pleasant way to spend an hour and we topped it off by going to The Hungry Clam and ordering up a bowl of delicious clam chowder. Wish you were here to join us so we could treat you to some delectable fish and chips and a few minutes with the beautiful powerful Pelicans that grace our shores. My only 'but' for today is that it was fun to watch the fishermen in their boats, 'but' I wish I knew some of the trollers so I could have a big piece of salmon to cook up for a dinner this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment