Saturday, October 10, 2009

Without Fear














I have ridden in a glass elevator in my lifetime but never had the opportunity to have a ride in this one., the Sears Tower. I wonder if I would have the courage to step aboard and take the sky high ride. My stomach gets jittery just thinking about it. I thought the pictures fascinating and wanted to share them. The school children must have been given a field trip and thought it wonderful, not me, I probably would not have signed the permission slip. My Christine wanted to go ski diving when she was in her teens and I put both feet down, although now when I think about it, I wish I had a lot less fear in me, so that she and my other children could go about testing the waters all by themselves....eventually they did and live to tell about it.


The picture with the car is not very clear I'm sorry to say but it was a small piece of film that shows a police dog sailing up over the car and knocking that criminal and his gun across the pavement. The dogs are well trained. I had no idea how well trained until I saw this clip. They move on command and have no fear at all.

Why is it some folks have courage and no fear, while some of us have such timidity we jump on a chair when a mouse comes by? I remember a long time ago I was going to have a ride in a ski chair , no snow underneath, an off season ride up the mountain to view the world from the highest point. It took a lot of teasing and convincing that I could do this without falling out of the chair, and I finally did it, only to find that it was awesome, not scary and I enjoyed every minute of it. I almost talked myself out of having an adventure. Not any more, as I have packed my bag and taken off for unknown places and participated in a smattering of life out of my comfort zone. Now, as I think back, I am glad I had the courage to do the things I did as the day comes when you find that you have to become one that looks on while the young ones take their turn adventuring around.


So, if you have been holding yourself back, make a list of the things you really truly want to do and check them off as you sky dive, snorkel in the deep, go on a Safari ride, hike a mountain trail, camp out with the creepy crawlers and have a great time. Life is much too short to put yourself on hold.






No comments:

Post a Comment