Saturday, April 11, 2009

Brookings Art Walk - Easter Saturday








Here in Brookings, on the second Saturday of every month, all of the artists and musicians set up in one of the Galleries, the Manly Art Center, and the Library, where the town folks can embrace the sight and sound of those graced with talent . What a way to spend a Saturday night; first Pat cooked up a delicious ling cod, with brown rice, fresh asparagus, and huge salad for our dinner. Sated, we drove over to the Library to hear Shirley Hyatt, one of the writers in the Chetco Writer's Group, place her violin under her chin, picked up the bow; and accompanied by Christy Dolan, a former concert pianist, the two played for a half an hour treating us with excerpts from Scheherazade; Rosamunde, Thais, Mazurka and finished off with three offerings from Porgy and Bess. I'm still humming. Christy played her solo, "Autumn Leaves" one of my favorites and she was simply marvelous. Ora Hess played the flute and the music was mesmerizing as she played Baroque & Blue; Irlandaise and ended with Veloce, all names that meant absolutely nothing to me, but once she started . . . I'm ready to listen to more of the intriguing music I heard tonight. I am still not good about taking pictures with my new camera and the few I took of Shirley playing her violin did not come out because the light was much too bright behind her. I finally got one of her talking with a guest. I wish I could have taken a picture of the featured artist but I settled for a couple of her pictures. The red rose was striking, so realistic you could reach out and pluck it. Her name is Erica Espilliant, (not sure of the spelling of her last name), such a talent, her work is outstanding and I'm sure we will see more of her work at future Art Walks.

They had a table full of cheese and crackers; bowls of fresh strawberries and cream, even some with sour cream, which, if I remember from my childhood, our good Jewish neighbors always served that way. Pat, is sitting at the far end of the room, waiting patiently to pick up a prize, she knew she was a winner because she had a picture of a bunny rabbit on her program, and she was right, she was the first winner. Now she has a big chocolate rabbit to eat Easter morning.

I don't know if you have Art Walks in your community, if not, get one started, what a lovely way to spend a couple of hours. Tomorrow is Easter Sunday, make it special, like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment