Thursday, April 16, 2009

Will Rogers and humor


A man with a passion for humor and lost to our world long before his time. I read a list of his sayings, on the e-mail, the other day and wished I had studied them to find some appropriate for the different moods we find ourselves in each day.
"There are three kinds of men, the ones who learn by observation, the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out themselves." He must have been thinking of children who were born with a stubborn streak and no matter how much you cautioned them . . . they had to find out for themselves. I had a daughter like that . . . "Do not touch the stove it is hot" and she touched it then showed me the blister on her finger through her tears. . . and mine.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Was he peeking in my windows ? . . . as friend Clarence would say, "Born too soon, wise too late." Yet, when it comes right down to it, each of us does the very best we can.
Today is one of those musing days. The nest is empty again so I have to decide if I am happy or sad; a little of both. I have been blessed with caring children who spend time with me and then get on with their own lives. They allow me a peek now and then as to what is going on, and that can go both ways. Presently Christine is three months into remodeling her kitchen, and the details are not funny when you have no kitchen to work in. She tells me there is light at the end of the tunnel but she would burn her house down before she would go through a remodeling job ever again . . . and the funny side is that all she had was three small leaks to fix . . . but . . . someone suggested 'why not' and the remodeling began. She is a survivor.
Son Michael is between snow flurries and no construction work until the weather changes; he hopes soon. He tells me he is keeping busy on the ranch where he lives and is working as a bouncer at a night club on weekends which does nothing for my sanity. My imagination works overtime, probably watching too much of one of my favorite TV show; "NCIS".
Pat is learning all about wild turkeys, even walked around with a little black box that mimics the female turkey and had a couple of the big birds come out of hiding . . . she wasn't happy.
And, it brings back the empty nest as John left for a mini vacation this morning. Now I have my TV back, no more howling stock shows; no more "Las Vegas" films, although I have to admit I enjoyed them all.
So I will end my musing and thankfully count my blessings. I think the sun is about to come out. I hope it is sunshine where you are and that you are having one of your best days yet. You deserve it.

1 comment: