Monday, April 6, 2009

Old Barns and Old Memories







I received a special e-mail from a friend today with pictures and a wonderful story about old barns which immediately brought to mind my painting days when I would go out with my camera and look for 'things' to paint. I dabbled in oils, until the fingers gave out. I was not the greatest painter of the century but I did a few passable pictures which hang on the walls of family and a few brave friends. I actually sold a couple of paintings so claimed the name of artist. The cowboy and his dog was painted some twenty years ago and given to our friend, Clarence who framed it using the old barn wood he had stored in his garage. He and his brother bought acreage in the high country of the Sierras and tore down an old barn and a shack or two on the property.


There was a road that ran below the Sierra mountain range in Washoe Valley where a few of the old ranches still exist to this day. One particular barn, very similar to the one in the picture, caught my imagination and I 'shot' it from every angle trying to catch its mystery. A huge tree was in front of it, much like the tree in the picture, and the sun would filter through the leaves creating shadows on the burnt ancient wood dappled in gray, black and russet as it leaned from its bouts with Nevada storms. I loved that old barn and wonder if it still stands. Next trip to Carson City, I will ride down the old road and look to see if this wondrous old relic is still around.


I thought you might like a rainbow and this is as close as I can get to send you one. So make a wish and brighten your day and know that I am thinking of you.

1 comment: