Saturday, April 18, 2009

Change





I was on a soap box yesterday, so thought I would change my attitude and write . . . about? . . . what? . . . Change . . . our lives are filled with changes.

Pat has a Honda Civic, a big change from the little blue RAV that she had for so long and did us so well. We had many an adventure before it was sold for local travel and the new car takes us on the road with better mileage and as much comfort. Hopefully on to new adventures.

The beautiful picture above reminded me of my visits to Auburn, California where my daughter Eileen lived for many years. I would catch a plane and ride out to visit from my home in Virginia. Every day of my visit we would pack my grandson into a new baby carrier and walk over to the park. There were stations for exercises that were fun to do, then the walk into this quiet area where the birds twittered and flew from tree limb to tree limb and the creek flowed with a song of its own. Ah, memories so sweet and sad as thirty years have gone like a whisper in time and Eileen left us to become a very beautiful star shining in the Universe, while my grandson, Mason, has grown to adulthood living a busy life of his own.

Having reached the Octogenarian age, I find so many changes, some good, some bad and some indifferent. My circle of friends is getting very small and some are having health problems that have made a change in their way of life. Change has meant finding a new down sized way of life, assisted living, leaving the familiar and slowly adjusting to a change they never knew existed. Not a sad time, just a different time and adjusting comes very slowly. Accepting change is the secret no one ever told us about and we all found changes in our lives worked out to be the very best as we grew and adapted quickly.

So I have changed my mood. The fog is burning off, I have laundry to fold, weeds waiting to be shaken from their roots and hopefully a ride in the new car later today . . . who knows we may go play a few pennies and eat a hamburger out for our dinner tonight. That isn't a change but the familiar is always fun. Make do with the changes in your life . . . enjoy them.




No comments:

Post a Comment