Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday Mornings


In spite of our busy world with people running around like a dog chasing its tail, Sunday is still a day of rest and I have to admit one of my special days. I like the feel of Sunday morning and today is no exception as we are fogged in, it is cool, and there is a slight breeze blowing the lovely huge Rose of Sharon in the rhythm of a troup of ballet dancers twirling on the tip of their toes.
I turned on the television and found one of the old movie classics on. Dana Andrews and Joan Fontaine played the leads and several other old time players, whose names are long forgotten, were an important part of the cast. A murder mystery, I will never know the title because it had already been on for some time. I watched it from the middle to the end and enjoyed it. My memories of those screen faces brought back the many trips to the local movie houses on a Saturday and Sunday when we would go to a matinee for ten cents and see a full length feature, a serial, a cartoon and the news, then walk down the street and go into another theater to see another movie. When an e-mail comes through today with one of those 'old-time' memory clips, it reminds me of those good old days when the weekends were very important. We still had chores to do on Saturday, but Sunday was the day you could call your soul your own.
I'm thinking of Sunday mornings in Carson City when I lived in a tiny miner's shack and talked the landlord into screening the small porch. My fellow co-workers would come over and we would sit on the porch and read the Sunday paper, do the cross word puzzle and discuss the events of the week. I cooked many an omelet and pots of hot coffee as we enjoyed our day of rest in the company of one another.
I am thankful Sunday mornings have not changed a lot for me. Pat comes over and I make blueberry pancakes or an omelet and we take a ride to look at the ocean and watch the pelicans and the seagulls play. It is peaceful and restful and I am very grateful the good Lord made Sunday a day of rest.
I hope you are resting this Sunday morning freeing your hearts and minds from the stress of your working world. I hope you are planning to walk outside and breathe the fresh air and maybe take in a movie. Whatever you chose to do, know I am thinking of you with love in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment