Monday, May 11, 2009

Treeless




Once upon a time someone decided that two long needle pine trees should be planted on the property; one in the front close to the house, the other in the back yard close to the fence. Now these trees were small and pretty, but like all of nature's rare and beautiful pines, they grew, and they grew until they became a nuisance, shedding shamelessly, making messes and slippery walks, upsetting the tiles of the roof and cluttering gutters with needles and pine cones. Cutting them back each year only encouraged them to spread and grow taller. I have to admit they had beauty, pine cones of various size, feathery limbs with needles like fans, green and luscious in pride, but the sap that they made was slippery and a person could fall and be hurt . . . so . . . today was the day the trees came down to a buzz saw that made lots of noise. Limbs falling out of the air, piles of limbs waiting for the chipper until they were no longer there.

Our tiny view of the ocean has been expanded and we now can see more of the water. If we could convince the mill to cut back their trees we might even tout an ocean view. Once the gardens are cleared of the sawdust and I put some work into the soil, maybe plant new trees, but they will be dwarfs in size, I think my landlord will approve . . . or not . . . a bit late to have second thoughts.

A little glad it is behind me, but a little sad because I already miss my two obnoxious trees. I hope you have beauty in your yard and will invite me over to sit in your shade.






No comments:

Post a Comment