Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Break in the Storm . . .


Looking out my kitchen window, after teeming rain all day, I noticed a break in the clouds, not a very big one, but it is beautiful. The sun attempts to shine through the clouds and brighten the entire area around it, showing blue sky and a tinge of gray at the edges of the white clouds. I stood there, transfixed and thought about writing a poem, but my thoughts strayed as the wind whipped through the trees and the clouds moved in and the sun was lost to my sight.


My eyes wandered to the side gardens where the once beautiful orange and yellow nasturtiums grow and wonder if that sodden mess will ever perk up and grow again. My heart is set on having them climb the fence between me and my neighbor in hopes that they can share the beauty and color of these lovely flowers.


Next are two rose bushes I know will never amount to much as the five resident deer chomp on them regularly, and they are happy. I think I see mildew, or crusty elements, growing on the stalks and wonder if that means they are lost.


The weeds are thriving and I have some of the fanciest weeds in town. I am not sure what names they are called by, but, I do know they are very prolific and will not shrivel if a little rain falls on them. It doesn't seem to stop their growth, in fact, I'm sure the rain is helping them to multiply. I know for sure I will not bend and stoop to pull them out this year, but I will buy a whole gallon of spray that will knock them for a loop and smile while I do it.


I liken my stop at the window to life and all that happens to us as we live and thrive each day. It takes rain to slow us down and gives us a chance to meditate and to look for answers to some of the delemma in our lives. It takes sunshine to make us feel fulfilled and happy about the good things in our lives giving us energy and a feeling of pride in our accomplishments both big and small.


A little rain doesn't do much for us, but a lot of rain, now that is a storm of a different kind and we have to love it.


Enjoy the rain, enjoy the sunshine, enjoy today . . . make it a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment