Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Do Trip




Do trip . . . It is good for you honest, not a trip as a fall, but a trip as a mini vacation be it for an hour, a day or if you are lucky a week or two. Yesterday, son John suggested a trip to Eureka where the Costco store is located. It is a two and a half hour trip down Highway 101 south through the magnificent tall redwoods, then on to open highways along the edge of the sea. The views are magnificent, each one a calendar picture.

The weather was beautiful although the signs told of winter weather, snow and icy roads, but not where we were going. The signs were for those heading into the routes leading inland where they have been having a lot of winter weather. On the coast it is different as we found a bit of fog, a little sprinkle of rain drops and then sunshine.

As we drove into the small town of Orick there were signs warning of the Roosevelt Elks who have found a haven there. There they were , in all their glory, great looking beasts hunkered down and chomping away on the grasses. In this same field there is a small one room school house painted bright red, a tribute to another era. The town itself is very small but has hundreds of acres of flat open land leading to the mountains. There are many shops selling huge carved redwood figures and animals. A six foot bear that would look good in my front yard, but I couldn't think of a way to bring it home with me.

A few miles up the highway there is a lagoon, tremendous in size, unbelievable to see, only one small strip of sand keeps it from reaching the ocean. As we continued on, and rounded the many curves of the road, the ocean beaches and coves were a study in contrasts as one area would be smooth as glass, the color of winter, then the next curve would have a pounding surf, high waves smashing over large rocks which are very prevelent on the Oregon and Northern California beaches. There are areas flat and wind swept with nothing for miles, then a higher climb and the views are through the trees and the ocean is barely seen . . . then, a cove where a bridge curves over the land and the seagulls flock to it making me wonder why.

Finally we reached Eureka and did our shopping, then took time out for lunch at a restaurant called "Hurricane Katie's" and I was treated to French pressed coffee which I had never seen or heard of before. I was given a small glass container with a press and given instructions on how to use it. It was really very good. The menu was filled with sandwich names I have never heard of, with ingredients I have yet to taste, but I stayed with my Caesar salad with chicken and John had a sandwich that looked very interesting. I think it was a calzone with all kinds of good things within and a special cup of sauce to dip each bite in. It was time to start for home.

The return trip is just as pleasant and the views have a slightly different perspective as you round a curve; the same ocean, the same redwood trees, the same delapidated barn hanging as if by a thread, yet it far from boring. A hawk comes into view, or a tiny animal scurries by. We made a stop at "Trees of Mystery" where the huge Paul Bunyon stands, with his ox, Babe, close by, welcoming every visitor. There is a wonderful museum there with Indian artifacts that bring a lot of history to mind. The baskets, the carvings and the jewelry and dresses are in unbelievable condtion and a joy to see. For some reason the trip back home seemed so much shorter. We arrived home and unpacked all our purchases and enjoyed one of the tenderloin steaks. I almost forgot to tell you I heard John's new tape with the 'diva's' . If you can picture Tina Turner, Cher, Elton John, several other singers and a band that plays 'hot' and 'heavy' . . . and I must say . . . LOUD, the car shakes, the ears ring and a drummer that makes your feet bounce, then you know I was treated to music , a far cry from my Big Band style. Tony Bennett where are you?

Do trip. It's good for the soul. I have so many memories of small trips with daughter Patricia, up and down the coast to the north of us, to Bandon, Coos Bay, Florence, Newport, and on up north across the Columbia River bridge into Washington and on up to Port Orchard. Son John has invited me to Rapid City, South Dakota where I got to visit Mount Rushmore and see the unfinished work of Crazy Horse in a park all its own. Yellowstone Park which is one of my favorite places to visit. Our trips up the mountain highway to Lake Tahoe and other places that are stored in my memory banks ready to review when the trip bug bites. Michael and I rode in from Carson City to Brookings and I have a habit of reading signs as we go along. As we entered the highway where the speed limit had been 65, and rode up into the Smith River area, we were pulled over by a highway patrol officer and Mike was given a ticket for being in a 55 mile zone and going 65; I wanted to tell the officer that there was no sign posted changing the mileage but my son said "Don't say a word." Not fair, I wanted to spout.

I'm off to get dressed. I may be invited out the door. I 'do trip' and love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment