Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Favorite Things




The tune in my head holds the ending of a song from "Mary Poppins" as I hear the lovely Julie Andrews singing "these are a few of my favorite things" and the words remind us how truly well off we are. It goes without saying that my five children are at the top of my list, with the grandchildren close behind. Painting, Poetry and Writing would come second, third and fourth on my list, but, those are things that are part of my personality and God given talent that I failed to recognize or improve, although I do find it is never too late to open the mind and heart to new venues.
As for special things, a crisp apple, juicy and tart, a huge dill pickle from a barrel and Jewish Pumpernickle bread fresh and crusty. A good novel to take the mind and heart away to adventure and romance. A rainy day to play the old records to sing and dance to. A walk on the beach, or along a pathway in the forest to enjoy the sights and sounds. My camera to record what I see and feel. A good movie, especially a 'period piece' that teaches a lot about history and geography and introduces us to an era which existed so long ago.

Estate sales and yard sales to hunt for those books and whatever treasure that can be found. Meeting people and laughing as we rummage through boxes and look through the tables filled with all those things we use to own and either threw away or gave away, and now have the chance to own again.
Lighting a candle in thanksgiving for family, friends, and all of my favorite things.
I hope you find your list and make good use of it. I'm on my way to walk through the Antique Mall and see what new 'old' pieces have come in since my last visit. Make your day a good one.


1 comment: