Monday, March 30, 2009

Where is Madelene?




I have a bird's eye view of the neighborhood when I open my blinds every morning and watch the parade of dogs and their owners out for a morning constitutional, as my computer is housed in a little alcove in my bedroom. I can see the foothills and watch the sun rise, or the fog roll in and then a tiny woman, probably no more than five foot three walks her huge bushy fur dog down pass my window. For a while she walked just with her dog, then she had a lady friend tag along and they chatted while the dog led the way around the corner over to the open field near Mill Beach where the dogs exercise and enjoy their freedom for a short time.

One day when I was out sweeping my driveway, the lady and her dog came by, I smiled a hello and she stopped and I asked the dog's name. "Madelene" she said with pride. I was allowed to pet her and we talked for a very short time.

I've met other dog owners and have made friends with a woman named Judy who has a beautiful husky dog. Her husband has M.S. and would walk one of their dogs and she the other until one of the husky dogs died. How sad. Judy still walks her dog, her husband is slowing down and cannot walk out now, and I believe that his husky dog was his reason to try to get out every day and now he is lost without her. One day Judy came for tea and I heard a lot about her personal history and hope she finds some peace and contentment, as life has been hard for both she and her husband. I call the Husky "Beauty" as she looks for me when they pass the house. I watch for them to come back from their walk and go outside to give this wonderous dog, with her knowing eyes, a little scratch behind her ears and a loving pet until I see her again.

There are others I admire, a brother and sister who walk two sleek black dogs and they all seem to walk along in a long stride and make good time. Everyone is exercising.
Across the street there are two dogs, puppies really, who manage to get out of their front porch after their owner takes off in her car and here I sit watching them playing around in the street, and have to go and rescue them.
My neighbor to the north of me, has two dogs. Jim takes "Knee High" out when he gets into his motor scooter and they go over to Fred Meyers and shop. Both well known by all the folks in the neighborhood. Jim is 89 and a former ranch manager with a million stories to tell. Laverne, his wife, keeps the new puppy, Skyler, in the house, although he has found the doggie door and loves to be outside. He also likes to bark and let you know he is the master of his yard.
The neighbor to my south has a tiny dog named "Sheba" who stays in the house alone. The neighbor has moved in with her significant other who does not want a dog at his place, so this little old lady, stays alone for hours at a time. Her mistress comes to feed her and visit for a short while but it is sad to hear the barking knowing she is lonely. I call to her from the porch to say hello but she ignores me . . . so I respect her independance and leave her alone.
There are other neighbors, from around the corner, who walk their little dogs on leashes and the dogs pull them along. I miss Pat's dogs, Buzz and Jasmine, pictured above, who were taken way before their time. Jasmine was a beautiful soft dog who loved to come for treats. Buzz, as you can see from this picture, is mending from a fight with a racoon in his back yard. He was a Jack Russell terrior trained to help the deaf and strutted around in his orange jacket with pride.
I find that I do not have an affinity for animals, although I do love them and would never hurt them, I do not feel deprived not owning one. Maybe I just do not need or want the responsibility. Now the owner of Madeline is walking alone, or with her lady friend, I think Madelene is no longer and I'm afraid to ask.




No comments:

Post a Comment