Friday, March 20, 2009

The First Day of Spring






The first day of spring and if we are lucky it will be a beautiful day once the fog lifts and the sun comes out. As soon as the weather turns I can hardly wait to get out in my yard and start the Spring chores. Yesterday I took my clipper and my ratty old garden gloves and put them to work pruning the Marguretta bush. I had no idea it had to be pruned all the way back, but once the long black branches sticking out ugly and useless caught my eye, I got the message. I must have worked a good hour and left with the feeling that I had not even made a dent in the work that needs to be done. I gave no thought to the stiffness I would feel this morning, but you all know about hindsight. I'll survive once I get in the rhythm of gardening . . . you know . . . bend, stoop, on your knees . . . where is that chair to help me get up? Aah, the plight of the octogenarian.


As you can see from my porch railing where the Bird House sits temporarily (my son has promised to hang it on a pine tree limb) there is a birds eye view of the ocean. Granted you really have to use your imagination of my ocean front view as the mill and the saw dust pile has a way of getting the attention. The open field are where our resident deer live. They cross over and wend their way through the empty field beside my back yard and walk behind the garage to the driveway and out onto the street. Sometimes they come around the corner of our street and are fun to watch as the leader stops every so many steps to listen. I am not sure what she is looking for but then she starts up again and the other follow. This pattern is repeated until the leader starts running and they all pick up speed to follow her into a huge lot half way up the street where they spend the day eating everything in sight. Sometimes they walk out through my driveway and stop to eat whatever appeals to them. I hope to get a picture of them one morning. One or two have meandered up my little pathway in the front garden and stopped at the base of the front porch to indulge their appetite in the cut back rhodies. I've tried red pepper and cinnamon but I think it just makes it taste better as they have yet to leave the plants alone.


The old white wicker rocker seat houses another bird house but will have to be hung soon. The seat is about to fall through but I love it and will keep it there as long as I can. I envisioned a big basket of colorful flowers in that seat, but haven't gotten around to it. My intentions are good. I have potting soil on my shopping list this week.

I recently heard a quip about 'those who blog, must have big egos' which made me wonder about why I blog. I started off thinking about 'musing' something I have done for a very long time. I welcome the chance to blog as my musings no longer stay hidden in the drawer. Granted not everyone is interested in what I muse about, but I write because I love to write and it keeps my mind alive and it is a way for me to have a conversation with my family and friends when I cannot be with them in person. I will have to wait for 'comments' and decide.

Enjoy your first day of Spring. Make it a point to go outside and take a walk, even if it is only around the block. Greet someone with a smile and you will be sure to get one back.

No comments:

Post a Comment