Friday, March 6, 2009

Yesterday


Yesterday was a blustery day, teeming rain and wind, a good day to edit a story I have been working on. I had finished writing in my blog about "Nora" not knowing that she found the doorway that led to infinity. Nora died just before three p.m., hopefully not alone, but then if that was what it was to be, she would not have minded as she liked her own company. The news was not unexpected, and a feeling of thankfulness swept over me knowing that she would not linger for months or years, and along with it a myriad of memories.

Nora was nineteen when I met her. She was with her friend, Jeanne Cohneney (not sure of that spelling), who my husband called Crispin because of her wild unruly hair. They were a pair. Young, good looking, ready for anything and wearing leg makeup due to the lack of nylons, due to World War II. I helped my sister-in-law hand wash sheets and getting the leg make up off of them was a big deal. I brought this up to Nora and from there on, I was number one on her 'hit' list. She spent years telling me I was a martyr. . . So, I liked to do housework. She badgered me because "you have burdened my brother with so much responsibility" . . . well, gee whiz, like I had the children all by myself! The badgering went on for a life time and it only took her fifty years to actually say "I love you." I won!!!

Nora was kind, caring and a lot of good things. She meant well out of the love she felt for her family. Like all of us, she had an emotional problem that took its toll, but then it was understandable as living in depression years with all of its problems was not condusive to easy living. We all have stories to tell and the one good thing I remember most is that she really cared, only we were not suppose to notice.

I'm off to light a candle. Make your today a good one. The sun is trying its best to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment