Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Walk On Lone Ranch Beach

I took my new digital camera for a walk on Lone Beach yesterday and found out I really did not know how to use it. I spent time catching a bumble bee on a flower, and a bird up in a tree but not a bee, a bird or a flower showed up in my camera. I had been pushing the wrong buttons. So. . .live and learn. Today I had a second offer to go back and redo my walk and I would like to put all of the pictures on . . . but then there would be no room to write to tell you all about this magical place. There is a pathway leading from the parking lot to the beach and right now spring is making itself known as there are a myriad of colorful flowers of purple, yellow, white and even the blooming dandylions waiting to turn yellow and take over the entire area., I hate to admit they are all Oregon weeds. The trees are budding and the wild berry bushes are sprouting as well, so people will be going down this pathway with buckets to fill with the lucious berries. I can taste a cobbler coming up.

Walking along the beach at a minus tide is always an adventure. A search for the illusive agates, but only sugar agates thrive on this beach. There are colorful rocks and little pebble like stones but no beach glass or shells although the drift wood and seaweed are strewn along the beach. Today I found a Christmas tree, no longer green but brown, tossed by the waves since Christmas time. I found a walking stick and walked, or should I say teetered, over a lot of rocks to get onto the sandy beach. It was a minus tide and I could walk way out to the big sea stacks and look into the tide pools. I have pictures of sea anenomes on rocks, mussels, sea weed patterns which look like hyrogliphics. The wind was cold and was blowing the pollen in the air around and my eyes watered . . . and my nose followed , there I was no kleenex just sniffling away, but there was no way I would give up my walk along Lone Beach today. I walked the entire length of the beach, that is up to the area where the big river flows into the ocean and then I cannot get across its width. I turned back reluctantly as it was time to leave. There was so much more to see and so many more pictures to take. If I am lucky, I'll get another chance before long and take my camera for an outing again.


The tide is coming back in so the waves are really pounding to shore. It looks like it is way off but it is amazing how fast the ocean comes back and swallows up all that sandy beach I've been playing on.

Behind the driftwood is a river flowing into the ocean. It is running swift after all of the rain this past month. The sea stacks usually have a lot of seagulls sitting on them, but today there was only one and I tried to take its picture but it was too far away.


In the picture with the trees there is a blue bird. I tried hard to get in closer but it flitted and moved to another branch. I know it is hiding in the limbs and mocking me.










My walk in beauty was just the reprieve needed from the constant barrage of negative news on the television and in the newspapers. My spirits are high and I wanted to share some of this awesome beauty with you. Make today the best you can, reach out and do one good deed today. I did. Hugs to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment