Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Books And More Books.







The Book of Kells is housed in Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. If you can, go on line and read all about the history of this fantastic book which, by the way, I got a glimpse of a page or two when I visited Ireland, and it is a marvel to see . . . the colors are as if it were printed fresh yesterday. The other books are a few of mine, the self published author, who delights in writing about nice people and the things that happen in life. There is a bit of truth in each book and if I counted correctly I am now on number thirteen. I am in no way making a comparison of books, I wouldn't dare. I just wondered if any of my books will be around a hundred years from now and in the same condition. Well, one can hope.
I started my literary efforts with short stories about my childhood experiences so I could share them with my granddaughter, Erin, called "The Blakely Field Stories. I went on to try my hand at a murder mystery and used a lot of imagination in"The Dauntless One." Then the creative juices began to flow when I picked out some great pictures of my trips up and down the coast of Oregon and added a few sights of Nevada and added story poems, calling it "Weather We Like It Or not".
"So You're Going To Have A Baby" was an effort to help new mothers to learn that love and discipline go hand in hand and it is so much fun to have children in our lives. I wouldn't trade one of mine for all the tea in China! Did I stop there, you can only wish, I just continued on and decided to write about the fishermen and their catches here in Brookings . . . "Neptune's Children". I do walk the boardwalk and watch the lovely boats and the wave action of our beautiful ocean, so one idea led to another. Next came "The Estate Sale" all about yard sales which Pat and I take in more often than not. We have houses filled with small treasures and lots and lots of books.
"Friendly Enemies" came about as I thought back to my school days and some of the shenanigans that happened and took a couple of feisty youngsters along to a life of adventure and love. So, how about "Extended Families", we all know some, so why not create a story about them, and I did.
"Pearl's Journal" was a labor of love. I once knew a Pearl and miss her to this day. So my mind went on to other areas in which I lived and I wrote "Bodewel Manor" a genealogy which encompassed a bit of Newport, R.I. history, a place I really loved. A second picture/poetry book called "Sights and Sounds Traveling Around" was fun to do and I forgot to put in something about the Book of Kells . . . oh well, maybe I'll come up with a third one, you never can tell. I made up a childrens book called "A Story To Tell" which has four stories, pictures to color, pages for writing a story in their own words and a dictionary page.
"Collage" is the next one coming out and it should be soon. The cover is an actual collage I made of my own family and it does bring on a myriad of memories. Will I stop here? I doubt it. I have four favorite short novellas to put out there, great stories that were so much fun to do. Am I tooting my own horn today, no, not really. I just want to update my fan club (family and friends) in case you miss one . . . ha! ha! and prepare you for the onslaught to come.
I hope you are readers and have a good book in your hand, a cozy spot to sit and read in, and, I hope you take the time to settle in with a tall cool drink or a cup of a hot drink, put your feet up and while away a few hours within the covers of a good book . . . preferably one of mine!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment