Monday, August 10, 2009

Wash Day







Monday morning , does that washing machine bring back a memory or two? It does for me, I had one just like it. When Christine started school she drew a line of clothes and family stick figures so I knew she was thinking of home. What else did I have to do in my spare time? Now my washing machine is doing its own thing, as is the dryer and I am free to have a coffee break. I took my cup outside on the back porch and admired my flower gardens. They look so lovely this morning and I saw this little jet go by my eyes and land on the red bell flowers right under where I was standing. A beautiful hummingbird with more brown tones than red and wings that were going a hundred miles a minute while it tasted the nectar. It flitted away and went over to yellow flowers, a gift from the birds, I never planted them. They are growing up through an apple basket into a large Rhody and it is interesting to see how they weave a pattern all their own.
My telephone rang so I gave up my coffee break and found my neighbor is down with the flu and not a can of soup in her house. I have gone to the rescue and walked over a little care package for her. I offered to cook for her but she doesn't want to share her germs. I really don't want them but she is eighty-six, older than me . . . I'm smiling . . . and has a terrible back problem. She should be in assisted living but refuses to give up her home until she absolutely has to. I guess we octogenarians all feel the same way in wanting to pass out of this world in our own space and that is understandable, maybe not smart, but understandable.
So I'm off to fold my laundry, remake my bed, vacuum and by then it will be time for another coffee break. Who knows what I will see this time.
I hope you have a flower in a vase, if you don't have a garden, or a hot cup of coffee with something special to go with it. Relax, smell the flower and enjoy the treat. I'm thinking of you wishing I were there or you were here.
I used a picture of the humming bird from a free space (www.weforanimals.com) if you want to scan some lovely pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment