Saturday, August 8, 2009

Up Country


It is Saturday and Pat came over early to go to a yard sale up Carpenterville Road, four and a half miles, then on to Aldrich Height road, I think that was the name of it, where five families were holding yard sales. Carpenterville road goes from the highway (101) up and up . . . winding, twisting, narrow curves and lots of good asphalt , deep drops and no guard rails. Then when you turn into the road leading to the sales it goes on and on for a mile or so, making us wonder if we were heading in the right direction. I wouldn't want to make that trip every day, nor would I attempt it at night or in a storm. What can I tell you??? It is beautiful up there. The homes are set low and have lots of acreage for the deer and the wild life to play in. We saw some horses but not the one that is pictured. This was copied when someone took a picture of a new born pony who wanted to stay close to the mare. It is pretty smart to know where comfort is so early in its life.
We found all five sales and it was only seven thirty a.m, and we learned the plan to open was nine a.m; but a customer is a customer, and we were not turned away. Only one woman had interesting and beautiful pieces of glass ware, some books and a lot of clothing. I found a lovely hand blown red glass swan, which came from Italy, for my neighbor. I almost didn't part with it, as I have two beautiful swans in my bathroom. I found a Christmas creche, which I do not need, it plays music and is very lovely but must have batteries. I don't decorate like I used to so this will fill in as the Christmas spirit, a pity buy as they were holding the sale to raise money for a special dog for their great grandson who is allergic to peanuts. It is so sad as about everything we eat has peanuts in it, and it has to be very scarey. A good cause. Speaking of Christmas in August seems strange but with the way time is flying by I am sure it will be here before we know it.
The high country is quiet with huge trees and humongous bushes that are grown very tall, some hedge like with tiny colorful flowers of pink or white. Dirt driveways, always hilly so it made walking a challenge. The views, real true vistas of trees growing in valleys for miles. The homes were beautiful and one was for sale by a retired couple that has a travel trailer ready to pack and go on the road to somewhere their hearts desire. Did I have my camera with me? No!! I left it home so I can't show the beauty of the high country.
Pat found a 'period movie' ----"Elizabeth I" for me so I have spent my Saturday afternoon enjoying it. Wish you were here to watch it with me, but maybe you are out hunting for treasures and you will write and tell me all about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment