Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pelicans on Chetco River











I promised to take a picture when Pat and I went out for a ride yesterday. We didn't make it to Walmart but did find our way to Smith River and then on to the Port where we visited the Pelicans. My camera doesn't have a huge lens to take a close up so I found a couple of Pelican pictures to add so you can see, for yourself, these magnificent birds. They are huge, sleek, grey for the most part and graceful until they land. As you can see they plop... but, not always, sometimes they come in feet first and land gracefully. They sit on the rocks in the river next to a green buoy which you can hardly make out, but it is there, along with the huge rocks they call their home while visiting every year. The small white boat was coming in from the ocean and a 'flock' of seagulls followed it in. They hovered over the boat thinking they were going to have a special snack but there must not have been anything for them as they broke up their 'pack' and flew away before I could get them in my sights. One Pelican did a fly by which I tried to capture, so look closely and you might get a glimpse.


It is a shame you are not visiting me this weekend as the annual Art Festival is open on our boardwalk. At least a hundred white tents set up with all kinds of artistic specialties by local and visiting artisans who do such beautiful work. Maybe I'll take my camera and shoot a pic or two when I go there tomorrow. Today I am letting the big crowd have their way. So my loves, make today a good one and go out and find some local artisans and appreciate their hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment