Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Fall City Wide Yard Sales





Saturday morning and I am not at the city wide sales. Pat and I hit a few yesterday when some of the early sales opened but there was nothing that I couldn't live without. I did pick up an old book, one of the early copies of "Books for Boys and Girls", published by Books, Inc. of New York, sometime in the sixties I think, not sure, anyway it is two stories by Charles Dickens with reproductions from his original work in 1852 and they are delightful. One story is called "The Chimes" A Goblin story of some bells that ring an Old year out and a New year in. The other is A Christmas Carol in prose . . . a 'ghost of a story'. I'll save it and read it some cold rainy day this winter ----if you were close by I'd let you borrow it.
I was teasing Pat about a rug for her living room. She is undecided on what color she really wants so I sent her a copy of the Belgium rug and suggested she grow her own. Some mothers are like that! Imagine the amount of talent, flowers and hard work that went into making that display. It has to be one of the wonders of the earth and one of the most beautiful.
As for the dog and his bone. I feel I am like that at times. I really do not need anything as I have a house filled with 'junque' and it is all used and loved and displayed and sometimes over-powering, so why do I go to another yard sale ------because it is fun and sometimes a beautiful piece of glass sparkling in the sunlight brings a sense of beauty and peace that I would miss if it wasn't there. The depth of cobalt blue, or the delicate shades of violet. Sometimes it is the tiny figurine of a bird sitting on a leaf that feels so good to hold, or the just right ceramic baking dish that holds just the right amount of that apple crisp waiting to be eaten and, of course, books and more books to excite the senses with mystery and intrigue.
I hope you have a yard sale nearby and you find a treasure. Stay healthy and content, enjoy the rest of the day. Remember if you decide to by a MacDonald's coffee, the cup is now marked, so you have been warned. (smile.)

No comments:

Post a Comment