Sunday, September 6, 2009

Wishing

"If wishes were horses, beggers would ride", I've heard that expression more than one time in my life. This picture of a tree is the one I am hoping to find for my front yard. It is a cercidphylum-japanic, whatever that means, looks like a Japanese maple in all its glory and I think it is beautiful, small and just right for the spot I have waiting for it.

We had teeming rain for at least five minutes, the ocean is stormy and there must be a hundred salmon boats out on the water. The fishermen are hardy souls, I hope they are not searching for green ling cod but the robust orange salmon all that rocking could confuse them. Today is the last of the salmon derby and so far our local guy has the top honor with his over thirty nine pound beauty.

John is on the road and the empty nest is 'loud' this morning, a visit much too short, but hopefully he will return in a few weeks and have a little more time.

Meanwhile shopping for the weekly groceries was interesting. The peaches selling for two dollars a pound last week just sat there so today they are seventy-eight cents a pound and more people are looking them over carefully to be sure they are still edible. I bought three and they are good and delicious. My two cameo apples for a dollar look good, just hope they are crispy so I can enjoy them. I am one of those apple a day people and look forward to a crunchy apple. A nice Rhode Island greenie would be a treat but it has been a lot of years since I've had one of those.




The penny candies made me smile. We worked hard for our pennies as children and had to walk a few blocks to a small mom and pop store, stand on a board to look into a glass case showing all of those delectable candies. Necco's were a favorite but Mary Jane's lasted longer. I hope they stir up a memory or two so you will fill your candy dish with an assortment you love.
As for the rain picture, I can't think of who created it but when it came through on the computer the rain actually bounced on the pavement. It is one of my favorites. It reminded me of how much fun it was to walk in the rain. Ah . . . Ha . . . Thomas Kincaid, the painter of light who does such wonderful work. See the name was there, it just took time to go around and around before coming to the fore front -----octogenarians are like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment