Monday, September 28, 2009

Yom Kipper


Remember to say a prayer or two for our men and women over in Iraq and Afghanistan who are not living 'the life of Riley'. The pictures in the e-mail yesterday were heart rendering and should be on the front pages of all our newspapers, and on the television for everyone to be reminded that they are living the 'war' everyday while we hear less and less. Thank God for the Red Hats and the people who are sending packages from home to let them know we are aware. I wrote to a young man during the Desert Storm 'war' and sent 'bubble-yum' and cookies until he was finally home and I got that special post card that said he was back with his family. He used to share my letters and goodies with his buddies and that made me feel that I was helping in the morale department. Any kind of a 'war' is hell.


Today is Yom Kipper for my Jewish friends. From the little I understand God has judged most of mankind recorded in the Book of Life, and for those who repent they are granted a good and happy life. It is a day of not doing . . . fasting, emulating the angels in Heaven. There are five rules to follow, no eating or drinking; no perfume or lotions; no martial relations; no working; no wearing of leather shoes. I am sorry now that I didn't pay more attention when I was a small child living in a league of nations neighborhood so I would know and understand more. I just took my Jewish neighbors for granted. It just goes to show me, how little I really know about my fellow man and the ideals and ways they live by. We are all different and that makes us worth sharing our time and thoughts so we can improve our lives. Each of us has something to bring to the table. A banquet of life to help each other grow and prosper.

So today bring a little good deed to life and help our friends celebrate Yom Kipper by being the best we can be and atone for a few small breeches, or even big ones, for that matter. Be kind, be generous, be loving so you too can have a good and happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment