Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rocks


Fossil
Rocky Beach

Haystacks
and dead forest trees


Battle Rock




I am working on some stories for children about rocks and am doing a bit of research to find out about some of the places I have visited and some I wish I could visit. The Oregon Coast line is a treasure waiting to be found with its beaches, headlands, rivers, forests, and rock formations that have a history beginning with time itself. The more I researched the more I wanted to hop into a car and go, for out there is Highway 101 going north or south with vistas and views and places to visit that calls for my attention. The thought that crosses my mind is God is good, God is great and the gifts of nature awaits the thirsty soul.
The Punch Bowl is up near Newport and fascinating to view as the ocean tides come in and out daily and wear away a bit of rock every day. The Haystacks are many and their history must be something else to read about as we wonder where did they come from and how do they stand the pulsing tides and winter storms that bash and batter them. Then there are Magic Rocks up around Cannon Beach which rattle and make loud noise as the waves wash over them. I thought that fossil in the rock was interesting. If you have time, go on line and read about Battle Mountain or just ask for the names of rocks along the Oregon Coast and it is amazing the information out there. I wish I had those Geologists I worked with visiting.
I thought you might enjoy a little of the research I've been doing. I've already read about stone masons and building rock walls. Now I have these rocks to write about, so off I go. Isn't it time to plan a trip to the Oregon Coast? I think so. Coffee's on.

Devil's Cauldron.





No comments:

Post a Comment