Saturday, September 12, 2009

Yard Sales on Saturday







IT IS SATURDAY, our usual day for yard sales, and the Soroptimists are having their annual sale over at the Elks Club where the huge room will be filled to capacity with all kinds of things. Pat came by early and we tootled over there and believe it or not hard back books were three for $1.00. Too bad they didn't have more, I only picked out six. I found four small white Chinese rice bowls with tiny birds and matching spoons which I couldn't leave behind. There just was not a lot of treasures today so we went on to some of the home sales. I've been looking for an old fashioned meat fork for Pat and today I found one. We rode up to an area in the foot hills , a lovely climb around winding roads with huge homes on at least a quarter acre and all well taken care of. The pine trees were the tallest I've seen in a very long time. Skinny with branches only on top. They have such a calming effect circled around, and the air seems fresher when you are up in 'them thar hills.' On the way back down we spotted a yard sale sign so followed it and found a lovely house with a yard filled with things. It was one of those 'unkept' sales where you look but don't touch. The woman said she brought a lot up from southern California. I'd say she should have left them there. How's that for an attitude? I received the latest of Maxine's quips today.


This afternoon Pat treated me to a movie with Merle Streep in "Julie and Julia" which is delightful. Julia Childs had a terrible speaking voice but a tremendous sense of humor. The movie is well done and enjoyable. The pop corn wasn't all bad either. Watching all the fancy cooking and luscious deserts made me want to hurry home for my dinner. I took the quick and easy way by steaming a piece of salmon Pat and Jock caught the other day while fishing in the river up near Gold Beach. There really is nothing more delicious than steamed fish with lemon and dill, wrapped up in foil, and dropped in boiling water. I even cut up some garden zucchini and it cooked with the fish so my dinner was ready in no time.


I hope you are enjoying a good meal tonight and looking around to see what treasures you want to put into a yard sale, just be sure to call me so I can come and find a treasure or two.
























No comments:

Post a Comment