Friday, September 18, 2009

Four A.M.




I woke up at four a.m. and that was the end of a good snooze. Why four a.m. is any ones guess, but it seems a witching hour that is becoming more of a pattern than I care for. I would love to sleep in but I never have been a sleeper, six hours at most, now more like four with naps in between . . . so they are called "power naps", why I cannot imagine as we octogenarians don't have a lot of high octane energy to put all that power to work. Now this morning, the mind kicked in and I thought of the beautiful ride through the redwoods to go to Eureka. No matter how many times you take the ride, the redwoods have a magic about them that makes your breathing become calm and your mind absorbs the sight of the trees that are so awesome they bring out the poet in me. So today you are in for a poem.


Redwood Forest
****
The heart soars to the height of the trees
standing majestically for centuries
the road leads into darkened shadows
eerie, peaceful, each breath comes deep
as the smell of pine brings peace.
Hawks fly high and the deer tread lightly
river flows with foam so sprightly
as the rafters laugh with glee
spending the day so merrily
The trees look on with their massive base
wide passage a car can take
or ride a gondola high above
skimming the trees so loved
The awesome height
boughs so bright
the redwood forest
is a beautiful sight.
****
I had to add a Maxine or two. She reminds me of a couple of 'cranky' ladies I've known and loved in my life time who had a sharp wit and never felt shy about sharing it. It takes all kinds to make our world go around, what would we do without the Maxine in our lives? I am glad I never had to find out.




No comments:

Post a Comment